This text is meant to provide the basics for a Discrete Math course which emphasizes mathematical reasoning and an introduction to proof writing. Each section includes activities to help the students master the definitions and techniques.
- To introduce the student to the basic discrete mathematical structures and the theory and techniques associated with these structures.
- To continue the student's growth in the use of mathematical language and the use of logic.
- To improve the student's ability to write precise, valid, mathematical arguments.
- To increase the student's confidence in working through mathematical challenges.
- To continue the growth of the student's abilities in the appreciation and use of abstract reasoning.
- To improve the student's problem-solving abilities.
- To increase the student's mathematical maturity.